Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Best of Bhutan

This post is aptly called the Best of Bhutan. I've decided to include some photos that I had not previously been able to the blog. Each picture has a story which I'll briefly share.

Another Day Another Cow

Every single day, I walked to DHI and on my way I encountered a new cow on the way. This one is quite pleasant looking but occasionally I have to walk past enormous bulls. They were sure to leave cow pies on the road each day. I felt like I was walking through a minefield. 



"Tiger's Nest" from afar
View From "Tiger's Nest"






Tiger's Nest is a monastery over 10,000 ft elevation perched on a cliff. 









 
From there, the view of the Paro valley was amazing.
Just out of view to the left is Paro Airport. Planes are only able to fly there during the day because the mountains are difficult to navigate at night.  

 



This is the Supreme Court which was within walking distance of my apartment and DHI. It was here where I consulted with the Court Registrar and with a Supreme Court Justice regarding my research. These meetings were very informative and provided with much needed perspective on my assignment. 

View from my Front Yard


This photo was taken on my way to a banquet where DHI officials met with the officials of its subsidiary companies. The rapport between these companies is very interesting. In many ways DHI is a new-comer to the public sector in Bhutan since many of these subsidiary companies pre-existed before DHI was established. They were initially within the Ministry of Finance until they were transferred to DHI which manages them. 

Gho vs. T-shirt and Jeans





Every single day I worked with people who wore Ghos which are the traditional outfits which Bhutanese have been wearing for hundreds of years. I was tempted to purchase one but I managed to move around wearing western dress. 





Thank you everyone for reading my blogs! I can't wait to meet up with the rest of the WDI fellows back in Ann Arbor this fall.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    BORROWERS APPLICATION DETAILS


    1. Name Of Applicant in Full:……..
    2. Telephone Numbers:……….
    3. Address and Location:…….
    4. Amount in request………..
    5. Repayment Period:………..
    6. Purpose Of Loan………….
    7. country…………………
    8. phone…………………..
    9. occupation………………
    10.age/sex…………………
    11.Monthly Income…………..
    12.Email……………..

    Regards.
    Managements
    Email Kindly Contact: urgentloan22@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete