Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Delhi Heat


Hallelujah, the heat streak in Delhi has broken!  At least the 100+ temperatures.  With the monsoon season coming, temperatures have dropped, but humidity has risen.  However, I am finding it much more bearable to be outdoors now.

During the month of June though, stepping outside felt like walking into an oven.  I know I am extremely fortunate to be living in an air conditioned room, get driven to work in an air conditioned car, and work in an air conditioned office.  Though ironically, when it is extremely hot out and everyone has their air conditioning on, it strains the power grid and we frequently lose electricity.  After my first week, I too became unfazed as the lights and other electronics flickered on and off, not letting it interrupt conversations. 

I did try to sightsee some in Delhi in the heat, though you could probably tell I was a bit heat weary.  At Humayun’s Tomb, Jen Hsieh and I would rest in the shaded areas or in the wonderfully cool chambers tomb before preparing ourselves to venture into the hot sun again.  We carried bottles of water, but by the end of our time at the tomb (which wasn’t long at all), the water was actually hot – not just warm, but near scalding hot.  So we skedaddled to the nearest ice cream trolley outside of the gates for some cool, refreshing mango bar.  Only 5 rupees – score!


Walking in the Delhi heat, I frequently saw stray dogs lying in the roads, on the sidewalks, or even in piles of trash.  I would try to see if their chests were moving - if they were still alive - but it was often hard to tell.  It was only because they were there day in and day out that I assumed they were still alive and just overwhelmed by the heat as well.  It saddened me to see how these stray dogs must be suffering under the harsh sun, mostly skin and bones.  Their only fault is to have been born on the streets.  After mentioning this to a friend from Delhi, he had this to say which both made me laugh and gave me comfort:
Don't feel too sorry for stray dogs, at least not all of them. Many of them are ruffians, they form packs and make merry at night barking and running around the neighbourhood, chasing cars and motorcycles. Many of them are quite happy doing this hooliganism. They get waste food from restaurants and compassionate people. Rich and poor - all types of people - take care of these dogs; you will notice that many security guards adopt and take care of these dogs and give them company at night. There are animal care hospital trusts which take care of hurt stray dogs (and cows, goats, cats, donkeys). My mother also takes care of 6-7 stray dogs in our neighbourhood (vaccinations, medical aid when they get hurt etc.) And there are many more like her. Even in slums, you'll see that these dogs know who is compassionate and hang around those houses where they are taken care of. There is no organized care but many of them get along on the basis of individual human kindness and compassion. So there is another side to the story.
Thank you, friend, for reminding me that there are dimensions at play that I do not see or cannot assume to know; that I cannot make judgments based upon the preconceived notions I bring with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment