Friday, July 20, 2012

Hello all,
Tashichho Dzong, a government and monastic administrative building in the background

It’s been a while since my last post so I’ll make this one a longer one. In my last entry, I listed 5 of my experiences in Bhutan. In this entry I’m going to briefly explain one of the experiences on my list and explain more about my project.
Thimphu Tech Park...my actual photo was not uploading so here is an artist's rendering of the building...lovely
Unfortunately, I didn't dress properly for the occasion
I’ll start out of order with #2 “Planting a bottle-brush tree at Bhutan’s new LEED Platinum technology park.” I had the awesome opportunity to tour Bhutan’s tech-park which is actually housed in one building. As per Bhutan’s regulations, all buildings no matter how recently they are constructed must have a traditional façade. The result is that all of the hi-rises and new construction appears as if they have been fixtures for several hundred years. The Techpark is no different. From the outside it looks like an ancient fortress but all along the tour, our guide showed us the modern and “green” features. For example, the pavement is water permeable so that when it rains, the water gets to replenish the ground water rather than running off into storm drains. Water that collects on the roof is collected in a cistern and is used to water the plants. Solar panels powered the water heaters and lighting. Special materials were used to keep the sun’s heat out and make the building really cool during the summer. There was a whole bunch of other features that I could hardly explain right now. The certification speaks for itself. What I found most interesting is how they used part of the park to house a small business incubator. Yes, they have a special room where prematurely born businesses rest and develop into strong healthy organizations. At least that’s the image I got from the word “incubator.” Basically it’s a large room that actually resembles a hospital neo-natal ward. It is has long tables, internet access and it is rented out to business start-ups. The goal is for all of these start-ups to cross-pollinate their ideas as they work in the same room. When needed, the Incubator will provide loans for these businesses. So far this whole operation is embryonic as they only have a couple start-ups but I look forward to working with them on one project this summer. Oh, I never got to the tree part. So, the building is completed but the grounds still need to have trees and shrubs planted. The groundskeeper gave me a small shovel and a baby tree and I had the difficult task of breaking the fallow ground. One day, this tree will grow to be over 50 feet tall.
Alright so here’s the part where I talk about my project. At first, I mentioned that I was researching avenues for how Bhutan’s Companies Act can be amended to help DHI as it manages its subsidiaries. My project has since changed and I am now researching DHI’s legal status within Bhutan and I am devising ways that DHI can clarify this status. So when I say legal status, I am referring to general categorization of DHI as an entity within the government. For example, we know that the FBI is an agency within the Executive Branch in the United States. Ascertaining this status is important because it determines which laws apply to DHI. DHI’s status within the Royal Government of Bhutan is not so clear cut because it was not created by legislation. It was actually created by royal decree! Essentially, His Majesty, the Druk Gyalpo (the Dragon King) of Bhutan, Jigme Kesar Namgyel Wangchuck in 2007 decreed: Let there be DHI! and there was DHI! …That’s not actually what happened; he consulted with a very limited group of people in the government. The problem was that the royal decree did not comprehensively explain what DHI was and all the laws it should be subject to. This has proven problematic and so I have been charged with uncovering this. The research is a bit sensitive so I can’t explain everything but where possible over the next few blogs both you and I will uncover answers to this mystery.  Until next time!

A preview of what's to come in my next post...
Yannick Wood...without the S

No comments:

Post a Comment