Monday, July 30, 2012

Learning to Relate

It hardly seems like it, but I’ve now finished 2 out of 3 months of this fellowship, and it’s definitely been busy!  In the last few weeks, I’ve wrapped up the first assignment – the analysis of information flow between different levels of Rwandan health care – and made some recommendations about how to improve the way that patients move between health centers and hospitals and better ways to manage information.  And in the process, I’ve been learning a lot about how to manage different types of working relationships.

I had the chance to pitch my ideas to some of the key hospital administrators, and the conversation ended up as a spirited debate.  In the end, many of my recommendations were accepted, but a couple weren’t.  Coming from a medical background, I found this to be a little bit of an unusual situation.  Sure, there are patients labeled as “noncompliant”, but in medicine –especially in a tertiary care hospital setting like the University of Michigan – patients listen to their doctor’s advice more often than not.  But here, the relationship is very much unlike the patient-doctor interaction I’ve grown used to.  There were good arguments on both sides, to be sure, but in the end this is the Rwandan system, and it must reflect the values of those who work in it every day.  It’s been an interesting change of pace to help build capacity in this system and let go of an idea sometimes, rather than to diagnose and treat in a specific, standardized way.    

Since getting the in-principal approval of the recommendations I’ve been working on laying the groundwork to switch over.  One of the key recommendations that this spring’s MAP team made, and I’ve modified somewhat, is the implementation of an electronic registration and appointment system to replace the laborious paper version that is currently being used.  So to begin the transition, my translator Delphine and I have been giving computer lessons for the better part of the last month and learning about the student-teacher relationship in the process.  We began well ahead of our expected implementation date, and I’m glad we did; we’ve needed every minute!  We’re training a group of employees who work around the registration system, none of whom had ever used a computer before.  And it has been slow going.

I knew I would have to do some computer training going in, but the total lack of experience on the students’ end has proven to be a really interesting and unexpected challenge.  In retrospect, I suppose it was to be expected, but I think it speaks to the nature of our totally technologically integrated society that I hadn’t consciously considered that the employees here wouldn’t have a minimum level of experience with computers.  So I’ve had to learn rather quickly how to impart a skill that comes so naturally to me, but that my pupils have absolutely no frame of reference for.

I tried to start at the very beginning and go as slow as possible.  The whole first session was devoted to turning a laptop on and moving the cursor through the touchpad.  Even the simplest function was totally alien to them, and it’s been a challenging daily exercise for the better part of a month now.  Yet at the same time, these women have made enormous progress.  Yes, we’re still working on double-clicking and using scroll bars, but they’re getting more and more functional each day.  And most importantly, they’ve been incredibly enthusiastic and willing to try new things the entire time we’ve been working together.  And I think I've learned as much from our time together as they have!  Patience, time, and the eagerness to learn are the key factors that I’ve taken away from this experience that will help me to be both a better teacher and student in the future.

Our class in session
We’ve made enough progress that we’re looking at piloting the new system this week.  Within the next couple days, we should have an idea of how well this is going to work in practice, and we can begin troubleshooting the inevitable unforeseen problems.  But for now, I’m just excited to see how the culmination of the work so far looks in action!

No comments:

Post a Comment