Thursday, August 2, 2012

countdown

It's cliche, but I seriously can't believe I'm about to leave India already. I've settled in and made a little home here. I have routines, I've learned the ropes, I've learned some Hindi, and I feel like India can't do much that will shock me anymore. Now that I'm comfortable, I'll uproot myself and head 'home.' On the other hand, I'm pretty sure I got here just yesterday. The summer has flown.

In celebration of all things India, I've been keeping some lists:

Numbers
wtf.
  • Elephants: 7
    • 3 working (Bombay, Jaipur)
    • 1 trumpeting (Jodhpur)
    • 2 hanging out eating leaves (Kerala)
    • And 1 named Akbar, that I paid 100 Rs to pet adoringly (Kerala)
  • Monkeys: 8 (until I lost track in Kerala)
  • Times asked to be a Bollywood extra: 2
  • Times asked to take a photo with strangers: 13
  • Times asked to take a photo for strangers: 0
  • Photos "sneaked" of me: countless
  • Edible Arrangements: 1
  • Party Rock Anthem: 1
  • Starbucks: 0
  • Camels: 21 in one day, then I lost count (Ahmedabad + Rajasthan are camel central)
  • Broken dinosaur sculptures: 6
  • Peacocks: I lost count after one jumped at me in Jaipur. Rajasthan is the place to go for peacocks.
  • Cats mating: 2 pair
Favorites

  • Favorite bumper sticker: "Watch out - I STOP at red lights"
  • Favorite way of being asked if I need to use the toilet: "Urine?"
  • Favorite reassurance when the entire bus windshield shatters all over us, and after a quick dusting off we continue windshieldless at 100+ kmph, in the dark, in the monsoon: "Don't feel uncomfortable."
  • Favorite brand rip off: tied between "Google Denim" and "Facebook Restaurant"
  • Favorite sign advertising a police station: "Better late than never."
  • Favorite roadside warning: "When care dies, accident happens."
  • Favorite men's underwear ad: "Style to negotiate a complete surrender." [See 'women' post...]
Recommendations
  • Mumbai
    • Restaurants: Yoga House, Cafe Britannia, The Village, Suzette, Bagel Shop, Fellas, Caravan Serai (but be clear that you are ordering a full chicken, not four chickens.)
    • Shopping: Anokhi, Play Clan
    • Activities: Colaba art galleries, walking along Marine Drive, riding the train, strolling the neighborhoods
  • Ahmedabad
    • Restaurants: Swati Snacks, Green House
    • they say...
    • Highlights: Ghandhi everything
  • Jaipur
    • Restaurants: Haveli
    • Highlights: peacocks, elephants, Amber Fort
  • Jodhpur
    • Restaurants: Omelette shop
    • Shopping: all over the old city
    • Highlights: walking around the old city, Mehrangah Fort, jeeping out all over Rajasthan to meet with rural communities
  • Kerala
    • Restaurants: just have your meals cooked by the houseboat crew
    • Highlights: Munnar climate, houseboating
Things I'm looking forward to
  • Showering without a bucket
  • Sleeping without DEET
  • 6 craft beers for the price of one Hoegaarden
Things I'm not looking foward to
  • My cell phone
  • Lack of papaya
  • Lack of Yoga House
  • That other kind of stress

1 comment:

  1. I hear you on the "other kind of stress" and, related, "my cell phone." Oy vay. Great post! I can't believe it's over.

    Have fun traveling through Europe and see on the flip-side!

    ReplyDelete