Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Going to Church in Bhutan (Part 2)

Bhutanese Folk Dancing-I think I sat this dance out
In my last post, I introduced you to my church community. I mentioned that they are mostly of Nepali descent as opposed to the Bhutanese that make up the majority of the population. The community is very close knit and I was immediately invited to people’s homes for dinner. As I mentioned earlier, Nepali people usually speak Nepali as their native tongue and only a few are fluent in Dzongka. So just like me, they may have to speak in English with Dzongka speakers. I attended English services which were comprised of a mixture of South Indians, American expats and Nepalis. It was in this service, where I played keyboard with the worship team. That was an interesting experience because if I was not careful, I’d miss song transitions because everyone spoke Nepali around me. In fact, sometimes when I was still being careful I would still miss instructions on key changes or when the leader would change the order of songs. This past Sunday was my last at the church so I decided to introduce an American song that they never heard. It was well received!
One last note on Nepalis. Many of them have never been to Nepal and are actually not citizens of Nepal. Unfortunately, many of them are also not recognized as citizens of Bhutan therefore they are a people without a country. Both the Bhutanese and Nepalese government go back and forth arguing over what percentage of the Nepali refugees are actually Bhutanese citizens.
My wife and I with the Chairman of DHI
My supervisor is to my right




On the topic of DHI, I just came from a banquet last night where for the first time DHI employees dined with employees of DHI’s subsidiary companies. Enjoy the photos! 

1 comment:

  1. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    BORROWERS APPLICATION DETAILS


    1. Name Of Applicant in Full:……..
    2. Telephone Numbers:……….
    3. Address and Location:…….
    4. Amount in request………..
    5. Repayment Period:………..
    6. Purpose Of Loan………….
    7. country…………………
    8. phone…………………..
    9. occupation………………
    10.age/sex…………………
    11.Monthly Income…………..
    12.Email……………..

    Regards.
    Managements
    Email Kindly Contact: urgentloan22@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete